Friday, October 3, 2008

Last Minute Thoughts

Well, tonight I am off to Cartagena for a week of sun and sand! October Break in schools is a fantastic idea. We are taking a bus tonight to the city. It is a 10-12 hour ride, so should be really interesting. After spending a few days in Cartagena, we are heading off to Santa Marta and then to Parque Tayrona, a national park in Colombia that is supposed to be paradise. I am excited to get out of Medellin--the coastal cities will be a welcome break from the pollution and rain that is here. Planning on getting a new camera before we leave tonight, so when I get back I'll put up some pics of the trip!

On the American front, I tried to watch the debate last night, but couldn't get a good connection over the 'net, so eventually gave up. I'm going to try and find it on the internet so I can see what the VP's are like. I am envious of you all in the States during this time. What an exciting political atmosphere! While I know it is biased, I still wanted to post a link to The New Yorker magazines website. The editors have written a piece endorsing Obama for Pres and I think that it is so eloquently written and thoughtful. Even if you don't swing in the way of the democrats, I would suggest reading it!

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/10/13/081013taco_talk_editors

The magazine received so much slack for it's earlier portrayal of Obama, but they have definitely shown their informed support with this article.

That's all for now! I won't be "with computer" for the next 10 days or so, but will post as soon as I can!

Happy October!

3 comments:

whipppoorwill said...

Have fun on your trip!


ps- GO OBAMA!!!

Vickie said...

Hi Maggie! We miss you at John Fiske! You would love some of our new teachers. They are very seasoned and competent!! The mobile classrooms are doing great with the addition of the new teachers. You left a large hole in our school and we miss you. There are some we don't miss!! Keep us posted on all your happenings!

Unknown said...

maggie, I am so excited for this wonderful adventure you are having. Creo que puede ser dura a veces, pero es vale la pena! We are are with you . Love, karen