Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Un Mes

So I have a month in Colombia, and each day I am still impressed with the kindness and beauty of the place. I have gotten a little slack from people for not keeping up with my blog, but time has gone by so fast and I continue to be super-busy. So, in keeping with my favorite writing style, I'm going to write in bullet points. It's easier for me and I don't have to worry about organizing my thoughts. After all, I'm still teaching and after a day at work the last thing I want to do is think....SO, here it goes:
1. My apartment: I like it! It's not as gorgeous as some of the others I have seen, but the location is great. It's close to the metro and to the nightlife district. It's also near a hospital, so although I have to listen to sirens, all the cabbies know where it is, which makes getting home at night from the nightlife district WAY easier because...
2. No one uses the street numbers here. You say the building name and what it's close to and then give directions when you finally recognize some landmarks. Make it a little difficult to get to new places, but the city isn't terribly big, so it's OK.
3. Traffic is CRAZY!! It's a dangerous mixture of pedestrians, motos, cars, buses, and taxis...each holding tight to the idea that traffic signs and regulations are merely suggestions...to be followed on a rare basis. Makes crossing the street a little difficult and maybe it's just me, but I swear that there is a sense of urgency and fear on the dark faces of the stick figures on the Pedetrian Crossing signs. They also look like they're running....
4. My school is beautiful. The campus is secluded in the mountains and a small army of folks keep it looking cared for and loved. It is chilly, rains A LOT, and is lovely. Whenever it rains (daily) you can count on losing power, but everyone is so used to it that it's rarely mentioned. I take a bus to and from school. It's about a 45 minute trek when you factor in the stops to pick the teachers up, but that's nice because it gives you time to talk with a friend or plan the day or just stare out the window at the blanket of white fog that covers the city.
5. My students are very smart, but definitely ESL. They are curious, friendly, and active...the best kind of students you could ask for. They talk a lot, but it's not to be malicious or disrespectful, it's just the culture. The parents are nice, informed, and do the best they know how...just like any other parent I've met.
6. Okay, so I live in El Poblado, which is the Beverly Hills of Medellin. There is a lot of money here and the women spend it on...BOOBS! I read about the enthusiasm for plastic surgery, but holy cow! Tiny little women with not so tiny additions. It is impossible not to stare, but I figure if you get something like that put on your body, you must want those oggles....
7. The food is okay. I've had some really good meals and it's supercheap to eat out, but for the most part, it's your standard fare: beans, rice, plantains, avocado, soup...still hanging with the vegetarian thing and as I meat (heh heh heh) more people, I am learning where I can find the ever-elusive Tofu Dogs. I have lost a bit of weight, but am looking good in my new pair of supertight Colombian jeans.
8. The use of "super." It's a favorite add on here to a variety of adjectives. Some following uses:
"La comida es SUPER rico!" The food is really good.
"Hoy para me fue SUPER bien!" For me, today went really well.
I like to use it.
9. Some things are really cheap: services (manicures, taxis, maids, dining out) and others are about the same (house stuff, food, toiletries, clothes). I think I like it...
10. My spanish is coming along. Sometimes I can really spew out some serious language, and other times I can't remember how to ask what someone's name is. I am understanding more and can get where I need to go. It's harder than I expected because I am not using it as much as I thought I would. All day is English, hanging out with friends is English, and it's very difficult to have a conversation at the bars and clubs in Spanish. So I continue to work at it...

So, I think that's all for now. Life is good. Colombians are happy. I am safe and content.

2 comments:

chocolate 22 said...

I can't believe you used the word boobs on this blog. There are children that read this. How inappropriate. Use your head!

Mags said...

I'm sorry if I offended anyone! Plastic surgery is part of the culture here and it is not looked upon at taboo at all. Medellin is known as a city throughout the world that has a lot of breast augmentation. In fact, it is an industry here...hard to believe, but it's true. My comments about the plastic surgery, specifically the boob jobs, was an acknowledgment that the rumors about the city and it's love of surgical enhancements are true.

My former students who might read this are all in middle school and I feel they are all mature enough to handle the word "boobs." It was an innocent comment and I'm sorry if it was taken offensively. I didn't mean it as such. I grew up calling breasts "boobs" and didn't think twice about it! Feel free to stop reading or read the blog before you let your kids...Or, better yet, read it with them and have a conversation with your daughter/son about why women feel the need to enhance their breast size. That might be more interesting that simply being offended by the word "boob."

Thanks and love from Colombia!